Sticky plum and custard cake
- September 2014
- Serves 16
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 1 hour, plus cooling
Don’t know what to do with all those plums? This sticky cake recipe uses a mix of 15 yellow and red plums, so it’s perfect if you have a seasonal glut.
It’s a beautiful-looking cake and an ideal dinner party dessert.
- 17.6g (9.2g saturated)
- 31.9g (20.7g sugars)
- 250g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 250g self-raising flour
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75g ready-made thick custard, such as Ambrosia
- 15 ripe but firm red and yellow plums, 5 chopped, 10 halved
- 50g flaked almonds
- Golden syrup to serve
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/ gas 4. Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm x 30cm x 5cm cake or swiss roll tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar using an electric hand mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one by one, adding a little flour with each. Fold in the rest of the flour, the bicarbonate of soda and the salt.
- Fold in the vanilla extract, custard and chopped plums, then pour the mixture into the cake tin and smooth out. Bake for 25 minutes, then very gently, so the mixture isn’t disturbed, remove from the oven and lightly lay the plum halves, cut-side up, on top. Scatter with the almonds, then bake for another 45 minutes or until golden – cover with foil if the cake browns too quickly. Test the cake is ready by pushing a skewer into the middle – it should be slightly sticky but not wet.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Drizzle with golden syrup to serve.
The finished cake will keep, wrapped in baking paper and foil, for up to 3 days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...