Deconstructed reuben sandwich
- August 2017
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 15 min, plus 15 min softening
We’ve taken the classic reuben sandwich and deconstructed into the form of a light summer salad.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 17.7g (8.9g saturated)
- 26.7g (16.4g sugars)
- 1/2 white cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 small granny smith apple, cored and grated
- Juice 2 lemons
- 5 tbsp natural yogurt
- 2 tsp French’s mustard (or similar gluten-free mustard), plus extra to serve
- 3 cornichons, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 120g sliced pastrami (check the label to make sure it’s gluten free)
- 2 handfuls watercress
- 4-6 gluten-free toasts or crispbreads (we used The Foods of Athenry multiseed soda bread toast)
- 60g gruyère, grated into shavings
- Mix the sliced cabbage and grated apple in a bowl with the lemon juice and some salt. Leave to soften for 15 minutes.
- For the dressing, mix the yogurt, mustard and cornichons, then season well. Drain and discard any excess liquid from the cabbage and apple mixture, then pour the dressing over it and mix until well coated. Serve with the sliced pastrami, watercress, toasts/crispbreads and gruyère shavings.
To get ahead you can make the coleslaw the night before. The next day, drain the cabbage and apple of any juices and add the dressing. The finished slaw will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Lunch recipes to take to work
Smoked chicken, parsley pesto and crisp gem lettuce baguette
Baguettes are filled with smoked chicken, homemade parsley pesto and crisp gem lettuce for this...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...