What to do with leftover white cabbage
Discover recipes and tips to make sure this crunchy and refreshing ingredient never goes to waste.
Recipes that use white cabbage
- Savoy cabbage, macadamia and white bean fusilli
- Kohlrabi, cabbage and apple slaw
- Mussels with savoy cabbage and shrimps
How to use up leftover white cabbage
- Scandi side. Fry blanched shredded white cabbage with butter, caraway seeds and a few juniper berries. Stir through some lemon juice and seasoning and serve with frilled and roast pork.
- Cabbage rolls. Blanch white cabbage leaves in boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add 100g rice to the water and boil until al dente. Drain. Fry 1 diced onion with 1 crushed garlic clove, 400g lamb mince, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg and the drained rice. Divide the mixture among the cabbage leaves, then roll up like spring rolls to serve.
- Green chilli slaw. Shred ¼ cabbage, cut 2 green peppers into strips and chop 1 onion. Blend 5 tbsp soured cream with the zest and juice of 1 lime, a pinch of sugar, 1 green chilli and a handful each of fresh coriander and mint. Mix the veg and serve with steak.