Easy walnut and oat crusted chicken with peperonata
- April 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on 25 min
Think chicken schnitzel then double the crunch factor – this nutty, oaty chicken served with a tangy peperonata is perfect for a quick midweek meal.
- 27.5g (4.2g saturated)
- 28.2g (10g sugars)
- 100g jumbo rolled oats
- 100g walnuts, toasted in a dry pan
- 1½ tbsp dried oregano
- 4 free-range skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 290g jars roasted red peppers, drained and cut into strips
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- Lemon wedges and chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Heat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan/gas 6. Put the oats, walnuts and ½ tbsp oregano in a food processor and pulse to a crumb-like texture (or chop very finely). Season well.
- Put each chicken breast between 2 pieces of baking paper and flatten with a rolling pin until around 2cm thick.
- Pour a glug of olive oil in a saucepan and fry the onion over a medium heat until soft. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute, then add the tomatoes, peppers and rest of the oregano. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring often. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, put the eggs in a shallow bowl and the walnut/oat mix onto a large flat plate. Dip the chicken breasts into the egg, followed by the walnut/oat mix, then put on a baking sheet.
- Heat a glug of olive oil in a pan over a medium heat and fry the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden (in 2 batches if need be). Return them to the baking sheet, then bake for 10 minutes, turning once. Slice the chicken, then serve with the peperonata.
To roast your own peppers, scorch them under the grill until blackened. Cool in a freezer bag for 10 minutes, then peel off the burnt skin. Discard the seeds. You’ll need 4 peppers here.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter