Fennel and broad bean tart
- July 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 min to make and about 40 min to cook
This vegetarian tart recipe uses ready-rolled shortcrust pastry and is bursting with the fresh flavour of fennel.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 50.8g (18.4g saturated)
- 49.6g (2.4g sugar)
- 375g ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large fennel bulbs, finely sliced
- 150g broad beans
- 3 large free-range eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 200ml half-fat crème fraîche
- 50g vegetarian Parmesan, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6. Line a 20cm fluted tart tin that’s 4cm deep with the shortcrust pastry. Prick all over with a fork and line with baking paper and baking beans or rice. Bake for 10-12 minutes, then remove the paper and beans and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the fennel and gently fry for 10 minutes until soft. Cook the broad beans in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes, then refresh under cold water and remove the outer skins, if you like.
- Spread the fennel over the bottom of the tart case and top with the beans. In a jug, mix together the eggs, egg yolk, crème fraîche and Parmesan and season. Pour into the tart case, place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until set and golden.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Broad bean recipes
Broad bean, goat’s cheese and SunBlush tomato tarts
This broad bean, goat’s cheese and SunBlush tomato tart recipe uses fresh or frozen shortcrust...