Fennel and broad bean tart
- July 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 min to make and about 40 min to cook
This vegetarian tart recipe uses ready-rolled shortcrust pastry and is bursting with the fresh flavour of fennel.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 50.8g (18.4g saturated)
- 49.6g (2.4g sugar)
- 375g ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large fennel bulbs, finely sliced
- 150g broad beans
- 3 large free-range eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 200ml half-fat crème fraîche
- 50g vegetarian Parmesan, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6. Line a 20cm fluted tart tin that’s 4cm deep with the shortcrust pastry. Prick all over with a fork and line with baking paper and baking beans or rice. Bake for 10-12 minutes, then remove the paper and beans and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the fennel and gently fry for 10 minutes until soft. Cook the broad beans in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes, then refresh under cold water and remove the outer skins, if you like.
- Spread the fennel over the bottom of the tart case and top with the beans. In a jug, mix together the eggs, egg yolk, crème fraîche and Parmesan and season. Pour into the tart case, place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until set and golden.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Broad bean recipes
Broad bean, goat’s cheese and SunBlush tomato tarts
This broad bean, goat’s cheese and SunBlush tomato tart recipe uses fresh or frozen shortcrust...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...