Feta and slow-roasted tomato salad
- September 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 min to make and 1hr 30 min to 1 hr 45 min in the oven
A salad of intense summer flavours that’s suitable for veggies.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 38.1g (11.1g saturated)
- 11.9g (10.8g sugar)
- 8 plum tomatoes, halved lengthways
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g baby courgettes, halved lengthways, or small courgettes, sliced on the diagonal
- Half a cucumber, diced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 130g jar mixed pitted Greek olives in oil, drained
- 1 romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
- 200g feta, broken into small chunks
For the dressing
- 6 tbsp fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp torn fresh mint
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- Pinch of sugar
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/fan220°C/gas 9. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and place the tomatoes on top, cut-side up. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C/fan130°C/gas 2 and roast for a further 1 and a quarter -1 and a half hours, until they have shrivelled in size and are lightly browned around the edges but still juicy in the centre. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over the courgettes, season and cook on a hot griddle or frying pan for 2 minutes each side, until lightly charred. Set aside to cool. In a large salad bowl, mix together the courgettes, cucumber, onion, olives and salad leaves.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing, season well with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Just before you’re ready to serve, add the feta and tomatoes to the salad, then gently toss with the salad dressing. Divide between 4 dinner plates to serve.
If time is a little tight, look out for semi-dried or SunBlush tomatoes in your local supermarket or deli, and use instead of our slow-roasted tomatoes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...