Gluten-free birthday cake sponge
- May 2009
- 225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 397g tin condensed milk, at room temperature
- 75g potato starch
- 200g brown rice flour
- 4 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 3 level tsps gluten-free baking powder
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp glycerine
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Butter and brown rice flour, to prepare the cake tins
- Filling and decorations of your choice
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Grease 2 x 23cm round cake tins really well, then dust with brown rice flour. Knock out the excess flour.
- Place the softened butter and condensed milk in a mixing bowl and mix them together. Add the starch, rice flour and beaten eggs and stir well. 3. Next, add the baking powder, vanilla extract, glycerine, oil and 3 tablespoons of warm water and mix well, preferably with an electric whisk.
- Spoon or pour the mixture into the prepared tins. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until well risen and lightly browned.
- Once cooked, leave to cool in the tins. Once cooled, remove from the tins. To finish, sandwich together with your favourite filling and decorate as desired.
Once cooked this cake will dry out quickly, so keep it well-wrapped in an airtight container
This cake is best eaten fresh, but you can wrap it in foil or clingfilm for up to 2 days until needed.
Rate & review