Healthier New York cheesecake
- June 2012
- Serves 12-14
- Hands-on 20 minutes, oven time 55-60 min, plus cooling and chilling
Our healthier take on New York-style cheesecake is made using low fat yogurt and extra-light cream cheese to reduce the calories but not the flavour.
- 6.6g (3.2g saturated)
- 22.8g (9.9g sugars)
- 400g extra-light cream cheese (we used Extra Light Philadelphia)
- 250g 0% fat Greek yogurt (we like Total)
- 200g fat-free fromage frais
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 tbsp clear honey, plus 1 tbsp extra
- to drizzle
- 75g golden caster sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
For the base
- 50g unsalted lower-fat butter, plus extra for greasing
- 175g reduced-fat digestive biscuits
- 1 tbsp clear honey, plus extra to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3. For the base, grease a 20cm springform tin and line the base with a circle of baking paper. Put the biscuits into a plastic bag and crush to fine crumbs with a rolling pin. Meanwhile, gently melt the butter and honey in a large pan. Add the crumbs and stir well to combine. Spoon into the tin and, with the back of a spoon, spread in an even layer over the bottom and about 2cm up the sides of the tin, pressing down to create a firm, even base. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat the extra-light cream cheese, yogurt and fromage frais until smooth. Add the vanilla, then the 4 tbsp honey and the caster sugar, and beat for 1 minute until mixed. Beat in the zest and cornflour, then add the beaten eggs, a little at a time.
- Pour into the tin and shake to level the mixture. Put on a baking sheet in the middle of the oven and bake for 55-60 minutes. The cake should be set at the edges but have a wobble in the centre. Turn the oven off and, leaving the door slightly ajar, let the cake cool completely (about 3 hours). Remove from the tin, drizzle with honey, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Baked gooseberry, ginger and crème fraîche cheesecake
This delectable baked cheesecake recipe is bursting with fresh gooseberries and made with a zingy...