Healthier potato salad
- July 2013
- Serves 6
- Takes 15 min to make, 10 min to cook
An easy recipe for a healthier potato salad that delivers all the flavour but with less saturated fat.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 14.8g (1.4g saturated)
- 27.4g (1.4g sugar)
- 1kg waxy potatoes, such as charlotte or jersey royal
- 2 large free-range egg yolks, at room temperature (see tips)
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 100ml cold-pressed rapeseed oil (see notes)
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced, to serve
- Handful of fresh chives, snipped, to garnish
- Halve the potatoes, or quarter if large. Put them in a large pan of salted water and bring to the boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender, then drain, refresh under cold water and set aside to cool.
- Put the egg yolks into a large mixing bowl, then whisk in the mustards, lemon juice and crushed garlic. Slowly trickle in the rapeseed oil, whisking constantly until it emulsifies and thickens, leaving you with a smooth yellow mayonnaise. Season well with salt and ground black pepper.
- Gently toss the potatoes with the mayonnaise, then transfer to a serving bowl and scatter over the spring onions and chives to serve.
Next time around, try adding finely sliced radishes, steamed purple sprouting broccoli and chopped anchovies.
Egg whites, lightly beaten, will keep in the freezer for 6 months. Freeze in large ice cube trays (1 cube per egg white), then transfer to a freezer bag, label and defrost as needed.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Jersey royal new potato recipes
Sherry braised jersey royals with broad beans and serrano ham
Rich, complex and nutty, most sherry vinegar is made from dry sherry and has firm...
Pickled red onion potato salad
This pickled red onion and potato salad is excellent at cutting through the smoky flavours...