Braised spring vegetables
- March 2015
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 1½ hours
Raymond Blanc’s spring vegetables side dish uses the freshest seasonal vegetables including Swiss chard, baby turnip and baby yellow beetroot. It’s the perfect accompaniment to an Easter roast such as this butterflied leg of spring lamb.
- 4.2g (0.6g saturated)
- 10.8g (8.8g sugars)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil or unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, each cut into 6 wedges through the root
- 250g carrots, cut in half lengthways, then into 3cm pieces
- 6-8 baby yellow beetroot, peeled
- 100g baby turnips, peeled and cut into 6 wedges
- 2 Swiss chard stalks, cut into 2cm batons
- 150ml water (see tip about stock)
- 100g breakfast radishes with leafy tops, halved diagonally
- 2 little gem lettuces, cut in 6 lengthways through the root
- 2 swiss chard leaves, cut into 5cm pieces
- Small handful roughly chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Heat the oven to 170°C/fan150°C/gas 3½. Heat the oil/butter in a large flameproof casserole over a medium heat and fry all the vegetables (apart from the serving veg) with a little salt and pepper for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the water (or see tip) and cook for 1-1½ hours with a lid on in the oven, until the veg are tender. Add the radishes, lettuces and chard leaves for the last 5 minutes of cooking, then taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve in a large dish along with all the cooking juices, sprinkled with the chopped parsley.
If you can’t get your hands on just-out-of-the ground, market-fresh veg, we recommend using good quality chicken stock instead of water.
If you can’t find any of the above veg, substitute with whatever looks beautiful when you do your shopping.
Raymond says: “Season lightly at the beginning. You can always add more seasoning, but you can’t take it away.”
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Fennel and broad bean salad with hazelnuts and feta
A fresh, light summer salad recipe made with fennel, green...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter