Hot smoked salmon kedgeree with poached eggs
- February 2008
- Serves 4 people
- Ready in 50 minutes
You can make this versatile hot smoked salmon kedgeree recipe for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 20.3g (4.2g saturated)
- 64.9g (3.1g sugar)
- 300g brown basmati rice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 12 green cardamom pods, split open
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 10cm piece cinnamon stick
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 600ml fresh chicken stock
- 300g hot-smoked salmon, skinned and flaked
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 4 fresh medium eggs
- Cover the rice with water and leave to soak for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook gently over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until soft but not browned. Add the cardamom, turmeric, cinnamon and bay leaves and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain the rice, add to the pan and stir well. Add the stock and a little seasoning, bring to the boil and stir once to release any rice from the bottom of the pan. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat to low and cook gently for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the rice and remove the bay leaves, cinnamon and cardamom pods. Gently fork in the hot-smoked salmon, cover again and return to a low heat for 5 minutes or until the fish is heated through. Gently stir in the parsley and season to taste. Keep warm by covering with foil.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium-size pan of water to the boil, then lower the heat so that just a few bubbles are rising. Add the vinegar. Break 1 egg into a teacup. Swirl the water with a spoon to make a whirlpool and slide the egg into the centre to poach gently for 21/2 minutes. Lift onto kitchen paper to drain, then keep warm on a plate while you cook the remaining eggs (confident cooks can cook all the eggs at the same time).
- Divide the kedgeree between warmed plates, top with a poached egg and serve immediately.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Savoury waffles with smoked salmon, avocado and eggs
You don’t even need a waffle iron to make these savoury waffles! Get out a...
Sweet pancake recipes
Rachel Allen’s pancakes with bacon and maple syrup
Celebrating Pancake Day? Whip up Rachel Allen’s classic American-style pancakes – with savoury bacon and...