Hot smoked salmon kedgeree with poached eggs
- February 2008
- 300g brown basmati rice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 12 green cardamom pods, split open
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 10cm piece cinnamon stick
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 600ml fresh chicken stock
- 300g hot-smoked salmon, skinned and flaked
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 4 fresh medium eggs
- Cover the rice with water and leave to soak for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook gently over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until soft but not browned. Add the cardamom, turmeric, cinnamon and bay leaves and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain the rice, add to the pan and stir well. Add the stock and a little seasoning, bring to the boil and stir once to release any rice from the bottom of the pan. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat to low and cook gently for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the rice and remove the bay leaves, cinnamon and cardamom pods. Gently fork in the hot-smoked salmon, cover again and return to a low heat for 5 minutes or until the fish is heated through. Gently stir in the parsley and season to taste. Keep warm by covering with foil.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium-size pan of water to the boil, then lower the heat so that just a few bubbles are rising. Add the vinegar. Break 1 egg into a teacup. Swirl the water with a spoon to make a whirlpool and slide the egg into the centre to poach gently for 21/2 minutes. Lift onto kitchen paper to drain, then keep warm on a plate while you cook the remaining eggs (confident cooks can cook all the eggs at the same time).
- Divide the kedgeree between warmed plates, top with a poached egg and serve immediately.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Potato latkes with smoked salmon and horseradish crème fraîche
Crispy potato pancakes pair perfectly with creamy crème fraîche in this traditional Jewish dish.
Sweet pancake recipes
Rachel Allen’s pancakes with bacon and maple syrup
Celebrating Pancake Day? Whip up Rachel Allen’s classic American-style pancakes – with savoury bacon and...