Leek, goat’s cheese and crispy bacon risotto
- March 2010
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 10 minutes plus 30 minutes cooking time
This leek and goat’s cheese risotto is budget cooking at its best, but with no compromise on flavour.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 29.3g (14.1g saturated)
- 73.9g (2.2g sugar)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- Small handful fresh thyme leaves or lemon thyme leaves
- 350g risotto rice
- 200ml white wine
- 800ml chicken stock, hot
- 25g butter
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- 100g goat’s cheese, crumbled
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan over a medium heat. Add the leek and fry until slightly soft. Remove and set aside. Add the celery, garlic and half the bacon, and fry for 5 minutes.
- Return the leek to the pan (keeping back a spoonful). Add the thyme and rice and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn up the heat, add the wine and bubble for a few minutes to cook off the alcohol. Add the stock, a ladleful at a time, waiting until each one is absorbed before adding the next.
- Meanwhile, fry the remaining bacon in a pan until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and set aside. Take the risotto off the heat and stir in the butter, the Parmesan and half the goat’s cheese.
- To serve, divide among 4 plates and top with the reserved leeks, remaining goat’s cheese and bacon.
Roll any leftover risotto into balls and dust in flour. Dip in beaten egg, then breadcrumbs. Deep-fry until golden brown for lovely nibbles with drinks.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...