Lemon fluff with limoncello cream
- October 2018
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 40 min
This is Darina Allen’s family recipe for a lovely and light lemon pudding topped with limoncello cream. It’s a delight to eat and ever so easy to make.
In her own words: ”This pudding separates into two distinct layers when it cooks; a fluffy top and a creamy base.” Sounds heavenly.
- 30.4g (18.1g saturated)
- 51.4g (41.9g sugars)
- 40g unsalted butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 3 free-range eggs, separated
- 75g plain flour
- Finely grated zest and juice 2 unwaxed lemons (see tip)
- 300ml whole milk
- Icing sugar to dust
- 300ml softly whipped cream or crème fraîche flavoured with limoncello to serve
You’ll also need…
- 1.2 litre ovenproof dish or 6 x 200ml ramekins, greased
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter in a mixing bowl until really soft. Add the caster sugar and whisk until pale and fluffy. Whisk in the egg yolks, one by one, then stir in the flour, lemon zest (see tip) and juice and the milk.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks, then gently fold into the lemon mixture using a large metal spoon. Pour into the prepared dish, put in a deep roasting tin, then pour in boiling water to halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden. (Or divide among 6 ramekins in a roasting tin half-filled with boiling water and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.)
- Serve warm, dusted with icing sugar and topped with limoncello-flavoured cream or crème fraîche.
If you like more of a lemon tang, add the finely grated zest of 1 extra lemon.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...