Mackerel, beetroot and fennel tart
- September 2011
- 375g ready rolled puff pastry sheet
- 1 large fennel bulb, fronds attached
- Knob of butter
- 150g ready cooked baby beetroot
- 1 packet (about 330g) smoked mackerel, skin removed, flaked 100g Wensleydale, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Lay the pastry on
- a non-stick baking sheet and gently score a 2.5cm border all around the pastry. Prick the centre with a fork several times, then bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the fennel, reserving the fronds for later. Heat the butter in a pan and cook the fennel for 5-10 minutes until tender. Cut the beetroot into thin wedges.
- Gently push down the centre of the pastry, leaving a risen border. Scatter over the fennel, beetroot and mackerel, then return to the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, then crumble over the cheese and the reserved fennel fronds. Serve straightaway.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pan-fried mackerel fillets with pear and pomegranate slaw
Mackerel is a great oily fish, full of omega-3, to incorporate into your diet. Paired...