Mackerel, beetroot and fennel tart
- September 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook
A quick and easy tart recipe, packed full of British ingredients.
- 37.2g (14.1g saturated)
- 24.2g (3.3g sugars)
- 375g ready rolled puff pastry sheet
- 1 large fennel bulb, fronds attached
- Knob of butter
- 150g ready cooked baby beetroot
- 1 packet (about 330g) smoked mackerel, skin removed, flaked 100g Wensleydale, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Lay the pastry on
- a non-stick baking sheet and gently score a 2.5cm border all around the pastry. Prick the centre with a fork several times, then bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the fennel, reserving the fronds for later. Heat the butter in a pan and cook the fennel for 5-10 minutes until tender. Cut the beetroot into thin wedges.
- Gently push down the centre of the pastry, leaving a risen border. Scatter over the fennel, beetroot and mackerel, then return to the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, then crumble over the cheese and the reserved fennel fronds. Serve straightaway.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Confit mackerel fillet with Serrano ham and gazpacho jelly
A simple restaurant-style fresh mackerel, Serrano ham and gazpacho jelly recipe that makes an impressive...