Mackerel, beetroot and fennel tart
- September 2011
- 375g ready rolled puff pastry sheet
- 1 large fennel bulb, fronds attached
- Knob of butter
- 150g ready cooked baby beetroot
- 1 packet (about 330g) smoked mackerel, skin removed, flaked 100g Wensleydale, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Lay the pastry on
- a non-stick baking sheet and gently score a 2.5cm border all around the pastry. Prick the centre with a fork several times, then bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the fennel, reserving the fronds for later. Heat the butter in a pan and cook the fennel for 5-10 minutes until tender. Cut the beetroot into thin wedges.
- Gently push down the centre of the pastry, leaving a risen border. Scatter over the fennel, beetroot and mackerel, then return to the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, then crumble over the cheese and the reserved fennel fronds. Serve straightaway.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Friday night dinners
Smoked mackerel with warm chickpea salad and harissa dip
This speedy salad recipe, with smoked mackerel and chickpeas, is a really quick and tasty...
Pan-seared mackerel with radish, apple & watercress salad and salsa verde
Sophie Mitchell’s healthy salad recipe uses mackerel, a budget-friendly and healthy fish, to create a...
Make-ahead Christmas starters
Mackerel pâté with quick-pickled radishes and spelt
Homemade mackerel paté is an easy but impressive starter, that takes very little time to...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...