Mince pies with iced frangipane
- December 2008
- Serves 12
- Takes 40 min to make, 40-45 min to cook, plus chilling and cooling
They may look like cherry bakewells but these are mince pies with a difference. Serve them up as a change from regular pies.
- 336 kcals
- 16.4g (7.9g saturated)
- 44.4g (30.5g sugar)
- 1 quantity home-made pastry
- 12 heaped tbsp mincemeat (use ready-made or see know-how)
- (see How To make mince pies in the Know How section for the recipes)
For the topping
- 65g softened butter
- 65g caster sugar
- 1 large free-range egg
- 2 tsp rum
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 65g ground almonds
- 175g icing sugar
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- Dried cranberries, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Thinly roll out the pastry on a floured surface. Press out 12 circles with a 8cm cutter and use to line a 12-hole mince pie or bun tin. Spoon 1 tbsp mincemeat into each pastry case.
- In a bowl, cream butter with caster sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1 egg and 2 tsp rum. Fold in plain flour and ground almonds.
- Spoon onto the pies and bake for about 25-30 minutes, until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Mix icing sugar with lemon juice, then drizzle over the pies. Decorate each with a dried cranberry.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter