Moroccan-spiced lamb steaks
- June 2016
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 500g courgettes, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-3 tbsp harissa paste to taste (we like Belazu)
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 100g dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 4 British free-range lamb steaks, about 100g each
- Chopped fresh coriander to garnish
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan and fry the onions for about 5 minutes until soft, then add the courgettes and fry for 5 minutes more. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute, then stir in the harissa and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the tomatoes and chickpeas and simmer for 5 minutes, then add the apricots. Cook for 5 minutes, then taste and add more harissa if needed.
- Meanwhile, rub the lamb with the remaining oil and season well. Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the steaks for 2-4 minutes on both sides (this will give you pink to well-done lamb). Remove from the heat and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice the steaks into 1-2cm strips and serve them with the chickpea sauce and a few coriander leaves.
Double the chickpea sauce ingredients. Reserve half, cool, then freeze in a sealed plastic container or freezer bag for up to 1 month. Defrost overnight in the fridge, then gently heat on the hob in a lidded pan.
Rate & review