Zhoug lamb with ras el hanout
- July 2018
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 10 min, cooking time 30 min, plus marinating, bringing up to room temperature and resting
Ready-made zhoug paste is a fantastic way to add instant flavour to dishes, such as this marinated lamb recipe. You could easily use the marinade for white fish and vegetables too.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 20.3g (6.5g saturated)
- 0.6g (0.2g sugars)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 tbsp zhoug paste (we used Belazu)
- 2 tsp ras el hanout, plus extra to serve
- 1 green chilli, sliced
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- Handful each fresh coriander and parsley, leaves picked, stalks chopped separately
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1.25kg British lamb leg, boned and butterflied (see tip)
- Make a marinade by whizzing the garlic, zhoug, ras el hanout, green chilli, lemon zest and juice and the chopped coriander and parsley stalks in a food processor. (Or grind to a coarse paste in a large pestle and mortar.) Add a good pinch of salt and pepper, then stir in the olive oil to make a loose paste.
- Prick the lamb all over with the point of a small, sharp knife and rub with the marinade. Transfer to a sealable plastic food bag, squeezing out any air, and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours, or overnight if you can.
- Remove the lamb and let it come to room temperature (this will take 2-3 hours), then transfer to a baking tray.
- Once you’re ready to cook, heat the grill to medium and cook the lamb for 8-10 minutes on each side. Heat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3, then roast the lamb on its tray for 10 minutes. Remove and let the meat rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Once rested, lift onto a chopping board, slice thickly and scatter with the herb leaves, a sprinkling of ras el hanout and any cooking juices.
Marinate the lamb up to 24 hours ahead, covered in the fridge. Bring to room temperature before cooking.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Adraki lamb chops with spiced potato mash
This Adraki lamb chops with spiced potato mash recipe is a southern Indian inspired dish.
Lamb shank recipes
Braised lamb shanks with lemon, garlic and parsley
A slow-cook dish and gastropub favourite, this braised lamb shanks recipe with lemon, garlic and...
Breast of lamb stuffed with feta and mint
A gorgeous spring lamb recipe made with breast of lamb and stuffed with a flavoursome...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...