Savoury muffins with smoked cheese
- December 2003
- Serves 8-10
- Hands on time 30 mins, plus 20 mins baking time
This light, savoury muffin recipe is the perfect lunchtime snack – with a lovely smoked cheese flavour.
- 250g plain white organic flour
- 125g polenta (we used coarse polenta)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 100g cooked and cooled sweetcorn kernels, or tinned and drained
- 150g grated smoked Ashdown Foresters organic cheese or smoked Cheddar or try your own favourite, plus 100g for topping
- 2 medium organic eggs
- 200ml milk
- 30g unsalted butter, melted, or 65ml sunflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases or squares of baking paper. In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients well. Make a well in the centre.
- Mix together the corn kernels, cheese and all the wet ingredients in a glass jug – don’t overbeat, just loosely incorporate them – and pour into the well, mixing quickly and lightly to a lumpy batter. If the mixture doesn’t drop easily add a little more liquid.
- Plop a heaped dessertspoonful into each paper case, top with the rest of the grated cheese and bake on the middle shelf for about 20 minutes or until well risen and golden. Serve warm.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Smoked cheese potato cakes with crispy kale
Hearty, warming smoked cheese potato cakes pair perfectly with crispy kale in this recipe from...