- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 slices oak-smoked ham, chopped
- 6 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 75g mature Cheddar, chopped
- 50g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 1½ tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 150ml semi-skimmed milk
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Sift the flour, baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt into a large bowl. Stir in the ham, sage and Cheddar. Make a well in the centre, then add the butter, egg, mustard and milk. Mix together briefly, until just combined.
- Put teaspoonfuls of the mixture into petits fours cases, so that each is about three-quarters full. Place on 2 large baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes, until risen and golden. Transfer to wire racks to cool a little.
- To serve, peel off the petits fours cases and line the muffins up on serving plates. Serve warm or at room temperature. Put your favourite chutney into a serving bowl for guests to dunk the muffins in.
- Make the muffins, then cool and freeze in food bags for up to 1 month. Defrost in the fridge overnight, then serve at room temperature.