Mushroom and spinach pearl barley risotto
- January 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 50 min
This vegetarian risotto recipe is made with pearl barley as opposed to rice. The fibre keeps you feeling fuller for longer and there is no compromise in taste.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 7.9g (2.7g saturated)
- 62.1g (2.2g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 300g mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 300g pearl barley
- 200ml dry white wine
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock (we like Knorr)
- 200g spinach
- 40g parmesan or vegetarian alternative, finely grated, plus extra to serve
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan, then fry the shallots for 6-7 minutes until soft. Add the garlic, thyme and mushrooms, then fry for 5 minutes more. Add the pearl barley and stir for a minute. Pour in the wine and bubble for 5 minutes or until mostly reduced.
- Add the hot stock and bubble gently for 45-50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the stock has been absorbed. Add the spinach and parmesan, stirring until the spinach has wilted (about 5 minutes). Season, then serve with extra parmesan grated over the top.
Swap thyme for sage and fry a few extra leaves in butter until crisp to garnish.
Rate & review