Mushroom barley risotto
- October 2011
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 150g Pedon Italian-style Barley Mixture (from Tesco), or similar
- 150ml dry white wine from a small bottle
- 500ml vegetable stock, hot
- 300g pack Tesco Finest Creamy Garlic Mushrooms, or similar
- Small bunch of fresh parsley, leaves roughly chopped
- 40g soft blue cheese, such as Saint Agur, chopped
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan and soften the onion for 5 minutes over a medium heat. Stir through the barley and toast for 2 minutes. Increase the heat, pour over the wine and bubble until reduced by half. Pour over the hot stock and leave to simmer gently for 12 minutes until the stock is absorbed and the barley is tender, topping up with more stock if necessary.
- Meanwhile heat the mushrooms according to the pack instructions, then season and stir in with the parsley and half the blue cheese. Divide between bowls, scatter with the remaining cheese and serve.
Crispy bacon lardons and/or chopped chestnuts would make a great addition
Rate & review