Orange-scented quinoa salad with pistachios and dates
- April 2015
- Serves 4 as part of a sharing meal
- Hands-on time 20 minutes, simmering time 20 minutes, plus cooling
Serve this vegan quinoa salad as part of a buffet at your next party.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 17.1g (2.3g saturated)
- 32.4g (11.1g sugars)
- 175g quinoa, rinsed
- 30g shelled pistachios
- 70ml fresh orange juice, plus finely grated zest 1 orange
- 60ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar
- 6 spring onions, very finely sliced
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 1 large bunch watercress, tough stalks removed
- 10 ready-to-eat dates, chopped
- Bring 500ml water to the boil in a medium saucepan. Add the quinoa and reduce the heat to low, then cover and cook for 18-20 minutes until the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat, fluff with a fork and spread over a large plate to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a dry frying pan, toast the pistachios until fragrant and starting to brown. Cool, then coarsely chop.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the orange juice, olive oil and vinegar and season well.
- To assemble the salad, put the quinoa in a serving bowl and toss with half the dressing. Fork through the orange zest, spring onions, herbs, watercress, dates, chopped pistachios and enough of the remaining dressing to coat. Taste and add more salt, pepper and/or dressing if needed, then serve.
A recipe from Easy Vegan by Sue Quinn (£11.99; Murdoch Books)
Cook the quinoa, toast the nuts and make the dressing up to 24 hours ahead, then assemble at the last minute (step 4).
Rate & review