- 225g lightly salted butter, plus 25g melted butter for brushing
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- 300g dark chocolate, at least 70% cocoa solids, broken into pieces
- 400g caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 5 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 220g plain flour
you’ll also need…
- 8 x 175ml metal pudding basins
- Brush inside the basins with melted butter, then add a spoon of cocoa powder to one and shake gently to coat. Tip any excess cocoa into the next basin and repeat, adding extra cocoa as needed, until all the moulds are coated.
- Put the chocolate and 225g butter in a heavy-based saucepan,then melt over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth and glossy. Whisk in the sugar, then the vanilla, then the eggs, one by one. Gently fold in the flour, then divide among the basins.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Put the basins in a baking tray and bake for 17 minutes exactly. Remove from the oven, leave for 30 seconds, then run a knife around the edges and invert onto serving plates. Serve with vanilla ice cream, cream or crème fraîche.
- At the end of step 2, chill the fondants overnight or freeze for up to 1 month. If chilling, bring to room temperature to bake. If freezing, bake from frozen for 19-20 minutes.