Pan-fried chickpea fritters
- May 2015
- Serves 4-6 as a light lunch or nibble
- Hands-on time 30 min
Simple and quick to make, this wheat free chickpea fritter recipe makes the perfect light lunch or appetiser. Sweetcorn and little chunks of chorizo are a great alternative to chickpeas.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 11.4g (3.8g saturated)
- 26.4g (4.6g sugars)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1½ tsp chilli flakes
- 250g soy yogurt or greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 120g spelt flour (white or wholegrain)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 170ml rice, soy or dairy milk
- 1 medium free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Small handful each fresh parsley and coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Olive or vegetable oil for frying
- 1 spring onion, sliced diagonally
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- In a dry frying pan, gently fry the cumin seeds over a medium heat until aromatic. Set half aside, then pound the rest to a powder in a pestle and mortar. In a bowl, combine the ground cumin, chilli flakes, yogurt, maple syrup and a good pinch of sea salt. Set aside.
- Put the flour and baking powder in a large bowl and slowly whisk in the milk and beaten egg until well combined with no lumps. Stir in the chickpeas, red onion, most of the herbs, the remaining whole cumin seeds, 1 tsp sea salt and a few grindings of black pepper.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil into a large, non-stick frying pan and set over a medium-high heat. When hot, add 2 tbsp batter for each fritter and flatten into little rounds. Fry in batches, without overcrowding the frying pan, for 5-7 minutes, turning once, until the fritters are golden and cooked through. Add more oil between batches if needed.
- To serve, pile the fritters up on serving plates and scatter over the sliced spring onion, remaining herbs and sea salt to taste. Drizzle over some extra-virgin olive oil, spoon the yogurt mixture over the top or put it in a bowl on the side, then serve with a green salad.
Cook the fritters up to 2 hours in advance, then reheat in a moderate oven for 10-15 minutes to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Alternative barbecue recipes
Prawn and chorizo skewers with yogurt, chickpeas and rocket
Our juicy prawn and chorizo skewers are an easy barbecue recipe with bags of flavour....