Roast potatoes and parsnips
- December 2005
- Serves 8
- Takes 15 minutes to make and 1¼ hours in the oven
Sweet, crisp and golden, these rosemary roast potatoes and parsnips are a simple, quick side dish recipe for your Christmas meal.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 12.9g (1.5g saturated)
- 58.8g (8.6g sugar)
- 2kg large floury potatoes
- 1kg small parsnips (if large, halve lengthways)
- 1 tbsp Maldon sea salt
- 10 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 8 tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 190C/fan170C/gas 5. Halve the potatoes. Place in a large pan of salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 3 minutes. Add the parsnips and boil for a further 3 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, grind the salt and rosemary leaves in a pestle and mortar. Sprinkle on the veg.
- Put the oil into the oven’s tray (that slots into the rungs of the oven) and pop in the oven for 5 minutes. Tip the vegetables into the tray, toss and roast for 1 hour. Increase the temperature to 200C/fan180C/gas 6. Turn the vegetables, then cook for 15 minutes, until golden and crispy.
To freeze, prepare up to the end of step 2, then spread out on baking sheets to cool. Freeze until solid, then transfer to food bags. Freeze for up to 1 month. On the day, cook from frozen, adding an extra 15 minutes to the cooking time.
Rate & review