Pavlova with lime cream and tropical fruits
- February 2010
- for 8 people
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 1½ hours to cook, plus cooling
This pavlova with a lime cream and tropical fruits is sunshine on a plate. It’s guaranteed to put a smile on your dinner party guests’ faces.
Per serving: 407kcals, 26.7g fat (17.1g saturated), 3.6g protein, 41.2g carbs, 37.8g sugar, 0.1g salt
- 4 large free-range egg whites
- 125g golden caster sugar
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the topping
- 250ml mascarpone
- 200ml double cream
- Juice of 1 lime
- Finely grated zest of 2 limes, a little reserved for decorating
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, or to taste
- 2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
- Pulp of 4 passion fruit
- 50g pomegranate seeds or seeds of ½ fresh pomegranate
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3. Place a sheet of baking paper on a large baking sheet and draw a 23cm circle – use a 23cm cake tin or plate as a guide.
- Whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk in a large clean bowl until stiff. Combine the golden caster and brown sugar in a bowl, breaking up any lumps, then gradually add to the egg whites, a little at a time. Beat hard until all the sugar is incorporated and the mixture is stiff and glossy. In a small bowl, mix together the cornflour, white wine vinegar and vanilla extract until it forms a thin paste and fold this into the meringue mixture.
- Spoon the meringue into the circle marked on the baking paper and use a spatula to peak the sides up slightly so they are higher than the middle. Place the meringue in the preheated oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 150°C/fan130°C/gas.
- Bake for 1½ hours until firm to the touch. Turn off the oven and leave the pavlova inside until it is completely cold.
- In a bowl, beat together the mascarpone and cream with the lime juice, lime zest and maple syrup, then beat until smooth.
- Carefully peel away the baking paper from the pavlova. Place on a serving plate and spoon the mascarpone cream into the middle. Top with the tropical fruits, decorate with the reserved lime zest and serve.
You can also use this mixture to make 8 individual meringues. Make a small dent in the top of each to hold the filling, cook for 1 hour, turn off the oven and leave to cool completely.
Rate & review