Peach, vanilla and fennel seed mini loaves
- Honey & Co. recipe
- Makes 8 mini loaves
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 30 min
Fresh peaches are baked with fennel seeds, mascarpone, lemon and orange zest in this mini loaf cake recipe from Honey & Co.
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Seeds scraped from ½ vanilla pod
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- Finely grated zest 1 orange
- 225g caster sugar, plus 1 tbsp for sprinkling
- 3 free-range eggs
- 120g mascarpone
- 160g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 peaches
- Heat the oven to 190’C/170’C fan/gas mark 5. Butter eight small loaf tins and line each with a sheet of baking parchment to cover the base and long sides, allowing a little overhang at the sides. Don’t worry about lining the ends too, just make sure they’re greased. Lightly toast the fennel seeds in a dry frying pan over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, then allow to cool before crushing.
- Beat the butter, vanilla seeds, zests, fennel seeds, sugar and salt together until just combined in a ball, using an electric mix or by hand. Don’t overbeat or cream. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing each egg in well, so that the batter is completely smooth before the next goes in. Add the mascarpone, flour and baking powder in one go and mix a full speed for a few seconds to make sure everything is well combined.
- Slice two ‘cheeks’ off each peach (one from either side of the stone), cutting as close to the stone as possible. Chop the remaining fruit into small dice and mix into the cake batter. Cut the peach ‘cheeks’ into thin long slices. Divide the batter between the lined tins. Top each cake with four or five peach slices spread out like a small fan and sprinkle with the additional sugar. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until risen and golden.
- It is a little tricky to tell when a cake containing fresh fruit is fully baked, but the surface should feel nice and bouncy. Eat warm or at room temperature.
We used a 2 litre loaf tin and added 20 minutes to the cooking time.
The loaves keep well at room temperature for 24 hours.
Rate & review