Pecorino and pea risotto
- September 2012
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 40 minutes to cook
This basic vegetarian risotto recipe is easy to adapt to whatever ingredients you have to hand – leftover cooked meats, ham or bacon, seafood, cooked veg, herbs and different cheeses.
- 15.7g (6.7g saturated)
- 72g (2.5g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of unsalted butter, plus extra to serve
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 350g carnaroli risotto rice
- Glass of dry white wine (175ml)
- 600-700ml vegetable stock, hot
- 200g frozen peas, defrosted
- 25g vegetarian parmesan, grated
- 50g vegetarian pecorino, grated
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan until melted, then gently fry the shallots for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in the rice, coating the grains in oil and toasting for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, stir until absorbed, then gradually add the stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring, allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding the next. Season carefully as you go so the seasoning is absorbed into the rice.
- When the rice is cooked but still retaining some bite (after about 30 minutes), stir in the peas and cheeses, then remove from the heat, cover and leave for a couple of minutes. Stir through a little extra butter before serving.
Rate & review