Grilled halloumi toasts with avocado and tapenade
- August 2016
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus infusing
Selin Kiazim takes cheese on toast to a whole new level. A dreamy mix of salty halloumi, creamy avocado, tapenade and a zingy lemon dressing make these cheesy toasts the perfect summery dinner party starter.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 28.5g (9.8g saturated)
- 21.8g (1.3g sugars)
- Olive oil for frying (optional)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 250g halloumi, rinsed and cut into 1cm slices
- 40g rocket
- 4 fresh coriander sprigs, torn
- 2 fresh mint sprigs, leaves picked and torn
- 2 tbsp black olive paste (from Turkish food shops) or vegetarian black/kalamata olive tapenade
- 4 slices white crusty bread, toasted and sliced into smaller snack-size pieces
- 1 tbsp pul biber (Turkish chilli flakes, also known as aleppo chilli), or regular chilli flakes
For the dressing
- 90ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, lightly toasted and crushed
- 1 garlic clove, lightly crushed
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl. Cover and leave to infuse for at least 1 hour.
- Heat the grill to its highest setting, or heat a frying pan with a little olive oil over a high heat. Halve and stone the avocado and, using a spoon, scoop out chunks of the flesh into a bowl. Add a little of the dressing.
- If using the grill, put the halloumi on a baking sheet, then grill for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden. Alternatively, fry for the same amount of time on each side in the hot pan until golden.
- Meanwhile, toss together the rocket and herbs in a medium bowl. 5 Spread the olive paste/tapenade over the toast, then top with the rocket mixture. Add the avocado and halloumi, drizzle over the remaining dressing and scatter with the chilli.
You can cook the halloumi on the barbecue instead of under the grill, if you like.
This recipe would make a good lunch for 2-4, served on full-size slices of toast.
Rate & review