Poached egg and peppers on toast
- November 2002
- Serves 1
- Hands-on time 5 min, cooking time 5 min
Top your toast with tomatoes and peppers before adding a poached egg, for a nutritiously healthy vegetarian breakfast which is also low in fat.
- 11g (2.4g saturates)
- 34g (16g sugars)
- 0.7g salt
- 1tsp oil
- 80g each yellow and green pepper, sliced
- 150g canned tomatoes
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 slice wholemeal bread or toast
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, then fry the sliced peppers for about 5 min until softened. Add the tomatoes, some freshly ground black pepper and the cumin and heat for a few more min to warm through.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to a gentle simmer. Reduce the heat so the water is just steaming, then create a whirlpool with a spoon. Break the egg into the water and cook for 2–3 min for a runny yolk, or until done to your liking. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Put the pepper mixture on the bread or toast, top with the egg and sprinkle with black pepper to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Grilled gammon steaks with peas, herb hollandaise and poached eggs
We’ve given gammon steaks a new lease of life by grilling them in a honey-mustard...
Midweek meal recipes
Poached egg and new potato salad with crispy bacon
This easy, low-calorie recipe combines delicious potato salad with a delicately poached egg and salty,...