Poached egg and new potato salad with crispy bacon
- August 2006
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 minutes
This easy, low-calorie recipe combines delicious potato salad with a delicately poached egg and salty, crispy bacon.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 16.1g fat (3.4g saturated)
- 18.5g (1.8g sugar)
- 450g new potatoes, such as Jersey Royals, scraped or scrubbed clean
- 2 rindless rashers dry cured smoked back bacon, cut into short fat strips
- Vinegar, for poaching the eggs
- 4 medium, very fresh free-range eggs
- 75g bag watercress
For the mustard dressing
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Boil the potatoes in a pan of salted water for 12-15 minutes, until just tender. Drain and cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan until hot, add the bacon strips and dry-fry for 2-3 minutes, until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm.
- Bring some water almost to a simmer in a saucepan and add a little vinegar. Stir the water and break in an egg. Poach for 3 minutes, then lift out, drain and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Make the dressing. Whisk the mustard and vinegar together, slowly whisk in the olive oil, then season.
- Cut the potatoes into quarters. Put in a bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons of the dressing. Arrange the potatoes and watercress on 4 plates and top with an egg. Drizzle with a little more of the mustard dressing and scatter with bacon to serve.
For a vegetarian meal, simply leave out the bacon and replace with some shaved vegetarian Parmesan to give the salad that slightly salty hit.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Broad bean recipes
New potato, artichoke, broad bean and chorizo salad
A filling salad recipe with the rich flavour of chorizo and a mustardy kick in...