Polenta with griddled veg
- August 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 min to make, 25 min to cook
This Italian recipe is an alternative to pizza. Omit the Parmesan and Parma ham for a veggie version.
- 20.4g (8g saturated)
- 41g (5.9g sugar)
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 200g quick-cook polenta (we like Merchant Gourmet)
- 100g finely grated Parmesan
- 100g asparagus tips
- 1 large courgette, peeled into ribbons
- 150g cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 120g roasted peppers in oil, drained and sliced
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Large handful of rocket leaves
- 8 Parma ham slices
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Slowly pour in the polenta, whisking constantly, then turn down the heat and cook for a couple of minutes until thickened. Season well with salt and pepper, then stir through the Parmesan.
- Pour into a baking paper-lined tin (about 20cm x 20cm). Leave for 5 minutes, then bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat a griddle. In a bowl, toss the asparagus, courgette and tomatoes in 1 tbsp of the oil with the garlic and some seasoning. Griddle in batches, turning, until charred and tender, then mix with the pepper, remaining oil, lemon juice and rocket. Toss to combine.
- Once the polenta is baked, turn out of the tin, discard the baking paper and slice into 4 squares. Top each with a generous spoonful of the griddled vegetable mix and 1-2 slices of Parma ham.
Rate & review