Polenta with griddled veg
- August 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 min to make, 25 min to cook
This easy Italian recipe is a colourful, veg-packed alternative to pizza. Top quick-cook polenta with griddled summer veg and Parma ham.
Turn polenta into moreish dumplings in our chilli cobbler recipe.
- 20.4g (8g saturated)
- 41g (5.9g sugar)
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 200g quick-cook polenta (we like Merchant Gourmet)
- 100g finely grated Parmesan
- 100g asparagus tips
- 1 large courgette, peeled into ribbons
- 150g cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 120g roasted peppers in oil, drained and sliced
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Large handful of rocket leaves
- 8 Parma ham slices
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Slowly pour in the polenta, whisking constantly, then turn down the heat and cook for a couple of minutes until thickened. Season well with salt and pepper, then stir through the Parmesan.
- Pour into a baking paper-lined tin (about 20cm x 20cm). Leave for 5 minutes, then bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat a griddle. In a bowl, toss the asparagus, courgette and tomatoes in 1 tbsp of the oil with the garlic and some seasoning. Griddle in batches, turning, until charred and tender, then mix with the pepper, remaining oil, lemon juice and rocket. Toss to combine.
- Once the polenta is baked, turn out of the tin, discard the baking paper and slice into 4 squares. Top each with a generous spoonful of the griddled vegetable mix and 1-2 slices of Parma ham.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter