One-pot chilli with a polenta cobbler crust
- November 2011
- Serves 4-6
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 1 hour 30 minutes to cook
This one-pot chilli with polenta cobbler crust recipe should be your go-to comfort food recipe in the winter.
- 29.5g fat (11.2g saturated)
- 46.2g (6.2g sugars)
For 6 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, ground cinnamon and chilli flakes
- 1 green chilli, diced
- 500g beef mince
- 1 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 500ml beef stock, hot
- 180g tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Large bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
For the cobbler topping
- 100g quick-cook polenta
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 100g finely grated Cheddar
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 200ml milk
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole, add the onion and garlic, then cook over a low-medium heat, stirring, until the onion has softened and taken on some colour (about 5 minutes). Add the dried spices and fresh chilli. Cook, stirring, for a couple more minutes. Add the mince, season well, turn up the heat, then fry for 5 minutes to brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the tomato paste, then pour over the tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove the lid, skim off any fat, then stir through the kidney beans and coriander. Season to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. To make the cobbler topping, mix the polenta, flour, baking powder, salt and cheese in a bowl. Mix the egg with the milk, then stir through the dry ingredients until combined. Dollop spoonfuls onto the chilli, around the edge of the casserole, about 3cm apart. Bake for 15 minutes, then serve.
Make the chilli up to the end of step 2, let it cool, then put the mix in a sealable container and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight, put into a casserole, simmer over a medium heat for 15 minutes, then continue from step 3.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
One-pot pork, tomato and courgette rice
This simple one-pot pork, tomato and courgette rice is a real stick-to-your-ribs meal with a...
One-pot sausages with beans
This simple one-pot recipe combines sausages with healthy cannellini beans for a midweek meal that’s...