Quick griddled chicken, avocado and pumpernickel salad
- March 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Avocado, griddled chicken and warm pumpernickel bread make this a healthy salad as well as a filling midweek meal.
- 19g (3.5g saturated)
- 15.1g (4.1g sugars)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 free-range chicken thighs, skinless and boneless, sliced
- 100g pumpernickel bread
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Zest and juice 1½ lemons
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 1 ripe avocado, finely sliced
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- 100g radishes, finely sliced
- 100g watercress
- Rub a little oil (about ½ tbsp) over the chicken pieces, then season with salt and pepper. Heat a large griddle or frying pan over a medium-high heat, then fry the chicken pieces for 10 minutes, turning regularly so they gain colour but don’t burn (you may need to do this in batches).
- When the chicken is cooked, set aside in a large salad bowl, brush a little oil over the pumpernickel and put on the griddle pan. Grill the bread for 5 minutes, turning once, until toasted and crunchy. Take the griddle pan off the heat, tear the bread into small pieces and add to the chicken in the bowl.
- Mix the mustard with the lemon zest and juice and the honey, then slowly add the rest of the oil (about 2½ tbsp), whisking until emulsified. Season. Add the avocado, cucumber, radishes and watercress to the bowl, then toss with the dressing. Season to taste and serve straightaway.
Rate & review