Quick mushroom and red wine ragù
- February 2006
- Serves 2
- Ready in 20 minutes
A quick vegetarian ragù recipe, made with portobello mushrooms, makes a substantial midweek supper.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 200g large, flat mushrooms, halved and thickly sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 100ml red wine
- 100ml vegetable stock, hot, made from 1/2 cube
- Few fresh thyme leaves, plus extra to serve
- Mashed potato, to serve
- Heat the oil in a wide saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in the mushrooms. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, until the mushrooms have released some juice.
- Uncover and cook for a few minutes to evaporate the juice, then stir in the purée. Cook for 30 seconds, then stir in the red wine. Bubble for a few minutes to reduce by half.
- Make up the stock and stir in with a few fresh thyme leaves. Bubble for a few minutes, until reduced a little, then season. Spoon over home-made mash, top with more fresh thyme and serve with steamed broccoli.
Rate & review