Quick pan-fried salmon with sweet-and-sour leeks
- March 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Pan-fried salmon sits on a bed of sweet-and-sour leeks and lightly crisped kale in this healthy midweek recipe.
- 22.2g (4.2g saturated)
- 11.7g (10.7g sugars)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 leeks, finely sliced
- 1½ tbsp brown sugar
- 1½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 sustainably sourced salmon fillets
- 200g kale
- Juice 1 lemon
- Steamed potatoes to serve (optional)
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium frying pan over a low-medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring, for 10-12 minutes until soft. Add the sugar and vinegar and cook for 5 minutes or until sweet and sticky. Set aside.
- Wipe the frying pan with kitchen paper, then add another 1 tbsp oil and heat until almost smoking hot. Add the salmon fillets and cook for 4 minutes, skin-side down. Turn and cook for 4 minutes more until golden and just cooked through. Boil a kettleful of water. Put the kale in a colander, then pour over the boiling water.
- Put the salmon on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Add another 1 tbsp oil to the frying pan and, over a medium-high heat, stir-fry the wilted kale for 2 minutes. Add a good squeeze of lemon juice, then season with salt and pepper. Mix in the leeks and taste – it may need a little more vinegar. Divide the leeks and kale among plates and top with the fish. Serve with steamed potatoes if you like.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter