Salmon and herb twice-baked soufflés
- December 2009
- Serves 6
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook
A recipe perfect for a light supper or dinner party starter, these salmon soufflés are a also a brilliant make-ahead dish.
- 24.5g (13.5g saturated)
- 9.9g (3.2g sugar)
- 50g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 50g plain flour
- 250ml milk, plus a little extra
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 100g smoked salmon, chopped
- 100g goat’s cheese with rind, chopped
- 4 large free-range eggs, separated
- 150ml pot soured cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°c/fan160°c/gas 4. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Stir in the plain flour and cook, stirring continuously, for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually whisk in the milk, a little at a time, until the sauce is smooth. Place the pan back on the heat and cook the sauce for a few minutes, stirring continuously as it will be very thick.
- Remove from the heat and stir through the herbs, smoked salmon, three-quarters of the cheese and the egg yolks. Season well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff and carefully fold through the salmon mixture with a large metal spoon, being careful not to knock out all the air.
- Divide the mixture among 6 x 200ml well-buttered ramekins and place in a roasting tin. Pour boiling water into the tin so it comes one-third of the way up the ramekins. Place in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove and, once cool, use a knife to turn out the soufflés into an ovenproof dish.
- When ready to serve, preheat the oven to 220°c/fan 200°c/gas 7. Mix the soured cream with a little milk, so it becomes the consistency of double cream, and pour a small amount over each soufflé. Dot over the remaining goat’s cheese and cook in the oven for 12 minutes. Serve with rocket leaves and buttered new potatoes.
This recipe is just as good with smoked trout or mackerel instead of salmon.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter