Seared mackerel and horseradish ciabattas
- April 2012
- 4 ciabatta slices
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus a splash extra to cook the mackerel
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp creamed horseradish
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Sainsbury’s mackerel fillets (400g pack), or similar
- Knob of butter
- 80g bag Sainsbury’s herb salad, or similar
- 2 medium free-range eggs, boiled for 6 minutes until semi-hard boiled, quartered
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Put the bread in a baking tray, drizzle with half the oil, then sprinkle over the garlic. Season, then bake, turning once, for 10-15 minutes until crispy. Remove and cool.
- Meanwhile make the dressing – whisk the remaining oil with the horseradish and lemon juice, then season. Score each mackerel fillet 2-3 times diagonally across the skin. Season.
- Heat a splash of oil and a knob of butter in a non-stick pan over a medium-high heat and fry the fish, skin-side down, for 2 minutes. Turn down the heat, then carefully flip and cook for 1 minute more.
- Meanwhile, toss the salad leaves in two-thirds of the dressing, then layer the ciabatta, mackerel and salad on 2 plates with the eggs gently placed on the side. Drizzle over the remaining dressing and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Marinated mackerel with spiced aioli
Chef Jason Atherton’s recipe for mackerel with spiced aioli is an ideal starter for a...