Seared mackerel and horseradish ciabattas
- April 2012
- Serves 2
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 10-15 minutes to cook
A quick and easy recipe of mackerel and horseradish on ciabatta with hard-boiled eggs and herb salad.
- 4 ciabatta slices
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus a splash extra to cook the mackerel
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp creamed horseradish
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Sainsbury’s mackerel fillets (400g pack), or similar
- Knob of butter
- 80g bag Sainsbury’s herb salad, or similar
- 2 medium free-range eggs, boiled for 6 minutes until semi-hard boiled, quartered
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Put the bread in a baking tray, drizzle with half the oil, then sprinkle over the garlic. Season, then bake, turning once, for 10-15 minutes until crispy. Remove and cool.
- Meanwhile make the dressing – whisk the remaining oil with the horseradish and lemon juice, then season. Score each mackerel fillet 2-3 times diagonally across the skin. Season.
- Heat a splash of oil and a knob of butter in a non-stick pan over a medium-high heat and fry the fish, skin-side down, for 2 minutes. Turn down the heat, then carefully flip and cook for 1 minute more.
- Meanwhile, toss the salad leaves in two-thirds of the dressing, then layer the ciabatta, mackerel and salad on 2 plates with the eggs gently placed on the side. Drizzle over the remaining dressing and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Grilled mackerel, grapefruit and pesto freekeh salad
The combination of crispy grilled mackerel, sharp grapefruit and the nutty flavour of freekeh, all...
Marinated mackerel with spiced aioli
Chef Jason Atherton’s recipe for mackerel with spiced aioli is an ideal starter for a...