Simple chocolate fudge cake
- April 2005
- Serves 10
- Takes 1 hour 20 minutes to make, plus cooling
A stunning fudge cake recipe with a chocolate sponge, sandwiched with chocolate then smothered in chocolate!
- 36.2g (21.9g saturated)
- 68.6g (45.9g sugar)
- 100g spreadable butter, plus extra for greasing
- 250ml milk
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 100g plain chocolate, melted
- 15g cocoa powder, sifted
- 300g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda, sifted
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 2 eggs
For the icing
- 225g plain chocolate, broken up
- 100g butter
- 142ml carton double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan160C/gas 4. Grease a 20cm round, deep cake tin and line with baking paper. Mix the milk and vinegar. Place all the other cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Pour in the milk mixture and beat with an electric hand whisk, until smooth. Spread into the cake tin and bake for 1 hour, until firm in the centre. Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out on a rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the icing. Melt the chocolate and butter together in the microwave for 3 minutes on medium, stirring halfway through. Alternatively, melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of just simmering water. Stir until smooth, then beat in the cream. Cool slightly.
- Halve the cake through the middle. Spread a quarter of the icing on 1 half and sandwich together. Spread the rest over the top and sides.
The cake will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight box.
Rate & review