Flourless chocolate cake
- July 2016
- Serves 10-12
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 45 min
Crisp on the outside and gooey on the inside, Simmone Logue’s flourless chocolate cake is delicious on its own or served with double cream. A gluten-free afternoon tea winner.
Get more flourless baking inspiration with our recipe collection of flourless cakes and bakes.
- 32.2g (16.2g saturated)
- 36.8g (36.3g sugars)
Per serving (for 12)
- 250g unsalted butter
- 300g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 5 medium free-range eggs, separated
- 250g caster sugar
- 125g ground almonds
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Fresh raspberries, unsprayed rose petals (optional) and double cream to serve
You’ll also need…
- 23cm springform cake tin, greased and base-lined with baking paper
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until the butter starts to turn brown and smell biscuity. Add the chocolate and stir until melted. Remove from the heat, then whisk in the egg yolks. Transfer to a large clean mixing bowl.
- In another large clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks using an electric mixer (the peaks should droop when the beaters are lifted out). Mix the sugar and almonds into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the egg whites using a large metal spoon. Pour the mixture into the tin.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until a skewer pushed into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin, then chill until needed.
- Just before serving, dust with cocoa powder, then decorate with raspberries and rose petals, if desired. Serve with cream.
Recipe from In the Kitchen by Simmone Logue.
The cake will keep for up to a week in a sealed container in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter