Sloe gin jelly with home-clotted cream
- September 2010
- Serves 6
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 5-10 minutes to cook, plus setting
Try this jelly recipe for a grown-up version of a childhood classic made with sloe gin and finished with home-clotted cream.
- 20.1g (12.5g saturated)
- 43.3g (44.4g sugars)
- 15 gelatine leaves
- 200g caster sugar
- 500ml sloe gin
- 300ml soda water
- 300ml double cream
- Soak the gelatine in cold water to soften for 5 minutes while you weigh out the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring the sugar and 300ml water to a simmer in a pan, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat. Squeeze out the water from the gelatine and add to the pan. Stir until the gelatine has dissolved, then let it sit and cool for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the sloe gin and soda water into the syrup you have made, give it a mix, then pour into the jelly mould and chill immediately. Leave to set for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- To make the clotted cream, preheat the oven to 120ºC/fan100ºC/gas ½. Pour a thin layer of double cream into a baking tray or ovenproof dish and cook in the oven for 40 minutes, then press through a fine sieve into a small serving bowl. Cool, cover and chill to set. Serve with the sloe gin jelly.
You will need a 1.5 litre jelly mould
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Recipes with gin
Vanilla pannacottas with sloe gin and rosemary jelly
The addition of rosemary and sloe gin-spiked jelly takes these from classic pannacotta to a...