Spaghetti with watercress and feta pesto
- April 2012
- Serves 4
- Ready in 20 minutes
This fabulous pasta recipe takes only 20 minutes to make and with a few added ingredients you will have a fantastic lunch for the next day too (see tip).
- 29.2g (7.1g saturated)
- 46.7g (2.8g sugars)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 30g pine nuts or hazelnuts, toasted
- 100g watercress, picked
- 15g parmesan, plus extra for serving
- 80ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 70ml olive oil
- 1 lemon, ½ juiced, ½ halved and thinly sliced
- 130g feta, crumbled
- 400g spaghetti
- Small handful of fresh basil, leaves picked
- Pulse the garlic and nuts in a food processor until roughly chopped, add the watercress and pulse again until you have a coarse paste. Spoon into a bowl, stir through the parmesan, then drizzle in the oils until you have a juicy paste. Season with lemon juice, a pinch of salt and lots of black pepper. Stir through the feta, then set aside.
- Heat a pan over a high heat. Add the lemon slices and quickly fry on each side until starting to caramelise. Remove and set aside.
- Meanwhile cook the spaghetti in a large pan of boiling salted water for 10 minutes until al dente. Drain, return to the pan and mix through the pesto and lemon slices. Spoon two-thirds of the pasta evenly among warmed bowls (reserve 250g for lunch the next day), then sprinkle with cracked black pepper and basil leaves to serve.
You next-day lunchbox: Whisk 5 medium free-range eggs with a little milk and a pinch of chilli flakes, then season. Heat a knob of butter in a pan, add half the leftover spaghetti and 50g smoked salmon trimmings. Spread over the base of the pan. Pour in half the eggs, swirling to coat. Cook for 5 minutes until beginning to set. Slide onto a plate. Repeat. Cool, then store in the fridge for the next day.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...