Sardine, chilli and lemon spaghetti
- April 2009
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 5 minutes, cooking time 15 minutes
The sardines in this pasta recipe are a source of omega-3, and go beautifully with a hint of chilli and the tartness from the lemon. It also counts as a portion of oily fish, which is great for your health.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 17.7g (2.7g saturated)
- 76.5g (2.6g sugars)
- 400g spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 x 120g cans sardine fillets in oil, drained
- Zest of 1 lemon
- A handful toasted pine nuts
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Cook the spaghetti or any pasta shapes according to pack instructions, then drain and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and a little of the cooking water.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the chilli and garlic for 1 minute. Add the sardine fillets and the zest of 1 lemon and warm through gently.
- Mix the sardines through the pasta with a handful toasted pine nuts, a squeeze of lemon juice and some chopped fresh flatleaf parsley. Check the seasoning and serve.
Make sure you buy sustainably-caught sardines – check the back of the can for information and try to buy sardines that have been filleted, so you don’t need to worry about bones.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
May seasonal recipes
Easy wholewheat spaghetti with rocket and goat’s cheese pesto
When it comes to pesto, the possibilities are endless – swap the classic recipe for...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...