Sardine, chilli and lemon spaghetti
- April 2009
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 5 minutes, cooking time 15 minutes
The sardines in this pasta recipe are a source of omega-3, and go beautifully with a hint of chilli and the tartness from the lemon. It also counts as a portion of oily fish, which is great for your health.
- 17.7g (2.7g saturated)
- 76.5g (2.6g sugars)
- 400g spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 x 120g cans sardine fillets in oil, drained
- Zest of 1 lemon
- A handful toasted pine nuts
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Cook the spaghetti or any pasta shapes according to pack instructions, then drain and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and a little of the cooking water.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the chilli and garlic for 1 minute. Add the sardine fillets and the zest of 1 lemon and warm through gently.
- Mix the sardines through the pasta with a handful toasted pine nuts, a squeeze of lemon juice and some chopped fresh flatleaf parsley. Check the seasoning and serve.
Make sure you buy sustainably-caught sardines – check the back of the can for information and try to buy sardines that have been filleted, so you don’t need to worry about bones.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter