Speedy barbecued lamb biryani
- July 2009
- 4 x 170g boneless lamb leg steaks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 700g portion frozen basic pilaf recipe, defrosted
- Bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 lemon
- Preheat a griddle pan over a medium heat (or light/preheat the barbecue). Brush the steaks with 1 tbsp oil, then season. Cook for 3 minutes each side until golden brown or cooked to your liking. Rest, covered with foil.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 6-7 minutes until golden, then stir in the spices and cook for a further 2 minutes. Tip in the rice and toss well for 3 minutes until heated through. Season.
- Remove the lamb fat, cut the lamb into cubes and add to the rice with the coriander and a squeeze of lemon. Serve with lemon wedges, raita and mango chutney, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter