Spiced apple sauce cake
- February 2008
- Serves 16-18
- Takes 30 minutes to make and about 1 hour to bake, plus cooling
This delicious apple cake recipe is lower in calories and saturated fat than most, so you really can have your cake and eat it (without feeling too guilty!)
- 6.6g (0.7g saturated)
- 35.4g (24.5g sugar)
For 16 servings
- 1kg cooking apples, such as Bramleys
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 50ml sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- 100g plain flour
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp each ground cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 100g raisins
- 50g walnut pieces
For the frosting
- 250g quark (virtually fat-free soft cheese)
- 25g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra for dusting
- 12 walnut halves (optional)
- Peel, core and slice the apples and put in a non-stick saucepan. Add the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons water. Cover and cook over a low heat until broken down into a purée. Uncover, increase the heat slightly and cook for 5 minutes or so, stirring, to cook off the excess moisture. Set aside to go cold.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3. Grease and baseline a non-stick 20cm springform tin with baking paper. Sift the flours, bicarbonate of soda, spices and sugar into a mixing bowl, plus any bran left in the sieve. Stir in the raisins and walnuts. Weigh out 550g apple purée and stir into the dry ingredients with the oil.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin, level the top and bake on the middle shelf for 55-60 minutes, until a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, put the frosting ingredients – except the walnuts – in a bowl and beat until smooth. Cover and chill.
- Take out the cake and cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to go cold. Spread over the frosting, sprinkle with more cinnamon and decorate with walnuts.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...