Spicy chicken legs
- October 2015
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 35 min, oven time 30 min, plus marinating
Chef Atul Kochhar shares his recipe for these spicy, vibrant and tangy chicken legs which are sure to go down a storm.
- 20.2g (3.9g saturated)
- 2.4g (1.6g sugars)
- 12 free-range chicken pieces (mixed thighs and drumsticks)
- Juice 1 lemon, plus wedges to serve
- Watercress leaves to serve
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp black pepper, crushed
- 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder or a mild chilli powder (see Know-how)
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds,
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
For the marinade
- 3 tbsp garlic paste
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oilor sunflower oil
- Combine the spice mix ingredients (see Make Ahead).
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together along with 1-2 tbsp of the spice mix. Rub on the chicken and leave to marinate for 1 hour. Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Put the chicken in a roasting tray, transfer to the oven and cook for 15 minutes, then baste with any juices/marinade in the tray and cook for 15 minutes. Remove, leave to rest for 5 minutes, then serve with lemon wedges and watercress.
Prepare the chicken up to the end of step 2 and keep covered, chilled, for up to 24 hours. The spice mix will keep for up to 2 months in a sealed container.
Kashmiri chilli powder is mild with a vibrant red colour. If you can’t find it, use mild chilli powder or paprika.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...