Spicy chicken legs
- October 2015
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 35 min, oven time 30 min, plus marinating
Chef Atul Kochhar shares his recipe for these spicy, vibrant and tangy chicken legs which are sure to go down a storm.
- 20.2g (3.9g saturated)
- 2.4g (1.6g sugars)
- 12 free-range chicken pieces (mixed thighs and drumsticks)
- Juice 1 lemon, plus wedges to serve
- Watercress leaves to serve
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp black pepper, crushed
- 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder or a mild chilli powder (see Know-how)
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds,
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
For the marinade
- 3 tbsp garlic paste
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oilor sunflower oil
- Combine the spice mix ingredients (see Make Ahead).
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together along with 1-2 tbsp of the spice mix. Rub on the chicken and leave to marinate for 1 hour. Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Put the chicken in a roasting tray, transfer to the oven and cook for 15 minutes, then baste with any juices/marinade in the tray and cook for 15 minutes. Remove, leave to rest for 5 minutes, then serve with lemon wedges and watercress.
Prepare the chicken up to the end of step 2 and keep covered, chilled, for up to 24 hours. The spice mix will keep for up to 2 months in a sealed container.
Kashmiri chilli powder is mild with a vibrant red colour. If you can’t find it, use mild chilli powder or paprika.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Recipes that will make you excited for autumn
Spicy butterbean, chickpea and butternut squash stew
Enjoy this vegetarian stew recipe, made with butternut squash, butterbeans and chickpeas, as a healthy...