Spicy Moroccan chicken with lemon couscous
- October 2009
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 10 mins, plus 15 mins cooking time
This delicious chicken and couscous recipe has all the flavours of Morocco, and is ready in under half an hour.
- 16.1g (2.9g saturated)
- 52.8g (10.8g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- 400g portion cooked, shredded chicken with 300ml gravy, defrosted (see Roast chicken with speedy gravy recipe)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 6 tbsp natural yogurt
- Small handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped
For the lemon couscous
- 300g couscous
- Grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- About 500ml chicken stock, hot
- Handful fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 50g blanched almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
- Gently heat the oil in a casserole over a medium-high heat, add the onion and cumin and fry for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute. Stir in the harissa and fry for 1 minute. Add the chicken, gravy, romatoes, sugar and chickpeas.
- Season, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice, yogurt and coriander.
- Meanwhile, put the couscous in a large bowl, add the lemon zest and juice, and the oil. Season and stir, add enough stock to cover by 1cm, then cover with cling film for 5 minutes. Fluff up, stir in the mint and almonds and serve with the chicken.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter