Spinach, tomato, prawn and salmon curry
- November 2010
- Serves 8
- Takes 20 minutes to make 35 minutes to cook
This recipe makes a double batch of the fragrant curry sauce, so you can pop half in the freezer. Cook the rest with prawns, spinach and salmon for a healthy weeknight dinner.
- 26.7g (16.5g saturated)
- 12.7g (6.4g sugar)
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 large red onions, finely sliced
- 4cm piece of fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 long red chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 8 large vine-ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 16 fresh curry leaves (available in Tesco or Asian grocers)
- 2 x 400ml tins coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
For the curry
- 150g baby spinach leaves
- 200g raw king prawns
- 200g salmon, skinned and in chunks, to serve
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a low heat. Add the onion, season and cook for 10 minutes until softened.
- Whizz the ginger, garlic and chilli in a small blender until finely chopped. Add to the onion with the ground spices. Fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and curry leaves, bring to the boil and simmer for 6-7 minutes. Pour in the coconut milk and lime juice, then bubble over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Pour half the sauce into a plastic container. Cool completely and seal, then freeze for up to 3 months.
- Add the spinach to the rest of the sauce. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until wilted, stirring constantly. Add the prawns and salmon and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the prawns are pink. Stir gently or the salmon pieces will break up. Serve with steamed basmati rice and lime wedges.
In this recipe you freeze only the sauce, so we have included enough spinach and seafood in the ingredients for just the fresh curry. You will need to buy the same again to finish off the frozen curry.
To cook the frozen sauce, defrost completely overnight, tip into a pan, then warm over a gentle heat. Finish the recipe, then serve.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter