Smoked salmon pesto tart
- January 2011
- Serves 6
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 25 minutes to cook
Combine smoked salmon with a dill and parsley pesto to make this quick and easy midweek meal.
- 27.9g (11.2g saturated)
- 22.8g (1.5g sugars)
- 375g sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- 1 lemon, ½ thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 5 tbsp crème fraîche
- 200g leftover smoked salmon
For the dill and parsley pesto
- ½ garlic clove
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- Good bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Good bunch of fresh dill, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 15g Parmesan, finely grated
- 100ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for dressing
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Unroll the pastry onto a baking sheet, brush with the beaten egg and bake for 20 minutes or until risen, crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile make the pesto. Whizz the garlic and pine nuts in a food processor (or pound in a pestle and mortar). Add the parsley and dill, then pulse (or pound) again until finely chopped. Remove to a bowl, add the Parmesan, then drizzle over the oil, whisking, until you have a spoonable consistency. Season to taste and squeeze over a little juice from the unsliced lemon half.
- Mix the onion, lemon slices and capers. Dress with the rest of the juice from the lemon half, a drizzle of olive oil and a little salt.
- Top the cooked pastry with dollops of the crème fraîche, the smoked salmon and the onion mixture. Return to the oven for 5 minutes to warm through. Drizzle with the pesto, garnish with the dill and serve with a crisp winter leaf salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Savoury pancake recipes
Sweetcorn pancakes with smoked salmon and lemon and spinach ricotta
Who said pancakes are only for breakfast? Whip up a tasty batch of these sweetcorn pancakes...
Salmon fillet recipes
Fillet of salmon with sun-blush tomatoes and tarator sauce
Time to wow your guests with a fancy fillet-o-fish; this baked salmon recipe is bursting...