Squid and chorizo risotto
- July 2017
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 40 min
Enjoy the flavours of the Mediterranean with this hearty risotto recipe with spicy chorizo and fresh squid.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 34g (16.4g saturated)
- 50.5g (1.9g sugars)
For 6 servings
- 150g cooking chorizo, sliced
- Olive oil for frying (about 2 tbsp)
- 1-2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 350g arborio risotto rice
- 200ml dry white wine
- 7 saffron strands
- 1.25-1.5 litres hot vegetable stock
- 2 large squid tubes, cleaned, patted dry with kitchen paper, cut into 1cm rings
- 100g grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 100g cold butter, diced
- Watercress sprigs to serve
- Fry the chorizo with a little oil in a small frying pan over a high heat. Once golden and crisp, remove the chorizo from the pan and set aside. Pour the cooking oil into a separate bowl and set aside for later.
- In a large deep frying pan or wide saucepan, gently fry the shallots in a little more olive oil over a medium heat. Once softened, stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir the rice into the shallot mixture until well coated, then cook for a few minutes. Pour in the wine – it should boil instantly.
- Let the wine evaporate almost entirely, then add the saffron. Gradually add the stock, little by little, stirring regularly to prevent sticking (keep the stock hot).
- Just before the last amount of stock is added (after about 30 minutes of cooking time), add the squid rings.
- Once the rice is tender, stir in the parmesan and butter. Taste, season and top with the fried chorizo. Drizzle with a little of the reserved chorizo oil and add a few sprigs of watercress to serve.
Arborio rice can overcook easily as the grains are more delicate and can break during cooking. If you’re a risotto novice, try the carnaroli variety, which is more forgiving.
Buy scallops that are still in their shells, from a reliable fishmonger or supermarket
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Mushroom and salami risotto
A good risotto is just what you want on a cold night. This easy recipe...
Cheat’s creamy bacon, basil and roasted tomato risotto
Risotto is the ultimate comfort food and this one is quick to make with a...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...