Squid and chorizo risotto
- July 2017
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 40 min
Enjoy the flavours of the Mediterranean with this hearty risotto recipe with spicy chorizo and fresh squid.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 34g (16.4g saturated)
- 50.5g (1.9g sugars)
For 6 servings
- 150g cooking chorizo, sliced
- Olive oil for frying (about 2 tbsp)
- 1-2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 350g arborio risotto rice
- 200ml dry white wine
- 7 saffron strands
- 1.25-1.5 litres hot vegetable stock
- 2 large squid tubes, cleaned, patted dry with kitchen paper, cut into 1cm rings
- 100g grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 100g cold butter, diced
- Watercress sprigs to serve
- Fry the chorizo with a little oil in a small frying pan over a high heat. Once golden and crisp, remove the chorizo from the pan and set aside. Pour the cooking oil into a separate bowl and set aside for later.
- In a large deep frying pan or wide saucepan, gently fry the shallots in a little more olive oil over a medium heat. Once softened, stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir the rice into the shallot mixture until well coated, then cook for a few minutes. Pour in the wine – it should boil instantly.
- Let the wine evaporate almost entirely, then add the saffron. Gradually add the stock, little by little, stirring regularly to prevent sticking (keep the stock hot).
- Just before the last amount of stock is added (after about 30 minutes of cooking time), add the squid rings.
- Once the rice is tender, stir in the parmesan and butter. Taste, season and top with the fried chorizo. Drizzle with a little of the reserved chorizo oil and add a few sprigs of watercress to serve.
Arborio rice can overcook easily as the grains are more delicate and can break during cooking. If you’re a risotto novice, try the carnaroli variety, which is more forgiving.
Buy scallops that are still in their shells, from a reliable fishmonger or supermarket
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Fennel and mascarpone risotto with scallops and prosciutto
This luxurious risotto recipe works well as an indulgent supper or as a dinner party...